July 10, 2022 - 12:00 pm
July 10, 2022 - 12:45 am
AddressPavillon 7, Paris Expo Porte de Versailles View map
Why publish in a society-owned journal? How are papers submitted to society-owned journals handled and reviewed? This workshop will also discuss controversies related to the quality assessment of peer-reviewed publications.
Society-owned journals are built by scientists for scientists. Editors from the European Journal of Neuroscience (EJN), the official journal of FENS, and Neuroscience, the official journal of IBRO, will explain how the publication of your research in a society-owned journal supports scientific societies, such as FENS or IBRO, and its impact on the neuroscience community.
Given that the preparation of any scientifically rigorous manuscripts relies on a solid experimental design and appropriate statistical analyses, this workshop will highlight the importance of using adequate analyses and graphical representations of data in a manuscript as well as the value of Registered Reports. Editors will also discuss publication metrics and their limitations, especially focusing on journal impact factor and whether this is a reliable proxy for assessing the overall quality of a scientific publication and a scientist. Finally, they will discuss efforts made to ensure diversity, equity and inclusion in the review process of scientific manuscripts submitted to society-owned journals.
Each of the Editors will be attending the FENS Forum and will be available for discussion about current and prospective papers as well as special issues.
List of Speakers, Affiliations
- John Foxe PhD: Editor-in-Chief, European Journal of Neuroscience. Professor and Chair of the Department of Neuroscience and Director of the Ernest J. Del Monte Institute for Neuroscience at University of Rochester, NY, USA
- Yoland Smith PhD: Senior Editor, European Journal of Neuroscience. Professor of Neurology and Director of the Division of Neuropharmacology and Neurological Disorders, Yerkes National Primate Research Center and Dept Neurology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
- Juan Lerma PhD: Editor-in-Chief, Neuroscience. Professor, Instituto de Neurociencias CSIC-UMH, 03550, San Juan de Alicante, Spain.
- Guillaume Rousselet PhD: Section Editor and Registered Reports Editor, European Journal of Neuroscience. Senior Lecturer, Institute of Neuroscience and Psychology at University of Glasgow, UK.
- Vidita Vaidya PhD: Senior Editor, European Journal of Neuroscience. Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, India.
Session Chair: John Foxe, USA, Editor-in-Chief, EJN
- Introduction. John Foxe
- Why should you submit your work in a society-owned journal? Yoland Smith
- Why should your work be peer-reviewed? Juan Lerma
- Why should you submit a Registered Report? Guillaume Rousselet
- Why metrics should be used with caution to assess the quality of published work? John Foxe
- Why is it important to ensure diversity, equity and inclusion in the review process of scientific manuscripts? Vidita Vaidya
- Q&A-Chaired by John Foxe